Subject: Re: Weltanschauung
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:41:32 +0000

>>All I can say is thank goodness I was in school while Veita Jo was still
>>there or no telling what I would be doing now.
>
>She is a great person. Are you working for a paper now?

No, I got out of the newspaper/wire service business in 1993, or rather
it got out of me!  I shot for the Gwinnett Daily News, a NY Times rag,in
Atlanta for 3 years, they went bankrupt then I shot for a time for UPI
and helped shut down their Atlanta bureau-a depressing year to say the
least.  Thank God I did not take the Miami UPI position I was offered!

News stuff is fun for a while but after a time the constant being on call
and having to answer that dam pager at 12 am to cover a plane crash or
some other tragedy gets old.  I enjoied the sports and the "living on the
edge" rush you get working news in a city like Atlanta, but am glad to be
out of the daily grind.  However; had UPI turned around I would probably
still be doing it as I enjoied the wire service end of the field.

I now shoot for a publisher in Nashville (Journal Communications) and we
produce travel and economic development magazines and I am a contract
shooter for Black Star doing several assignments a month for them for
everything from trade pubs to the London Telegraph and MacWeek magazine.
I don't miss the news stuff at all and love the work I now do.  To get an
idea of it look at my site as most of that was shot for either Journal
Communications or Black Star.

Speaking of Veita Jo, do you know how to reach her?  The last I heard she
had moved back to her farm in Missouri and had turned down a job as a pix
editor at the NGS.  Did you know her from Missouri?

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto