Subject: LEICON (Not about Marvin)
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:48:03 EDT

Once upon a time, after a serious disappointment with Nikon AF optics,
I found myself with a very nice Nikon F and a Leicaflex SL.

I said to myself: "Wouldn't it be great if I could get my machinist friend
to fix up this great old Nikon which is so much more versatile than my
Leicaflex so that I could use my wonderful Leica SLR lenses on it."

So I started trying to figure it out. I got out my vernier calipers and
micrometer and started measuring and sketching out plans.

There is no meter to worry about coupling...

"I'll have to move the bayonet locking button to the other side..."

The lens flange to pressure plate distance was the same! Oh joy!

The stop down levers work in opposite directions... well I think if I
interpose another lever here I can solve that...

Then I made a measurement which stopped me cold: The inside diameter of the
Leicaflex bayonet was bigger around than the Nikon's mirror box...

No wonder the SL weighs more...

                                           - John Lowther.