Subject: shutter speeds/to Alf etal
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 01:15:28 -0400

Alexander Koning wrote,

<<I don't want to insult anyone, but if you ask my opinion I would say
that the recommended minimum shutter speed by Brian Bower must have been
meant only for people with parkinson :)>>>>

Hi Alexander,

I think what must be taken into consideration is the expertise and
experience of handling the camera inrelation to his recommendations.

He might be right for a new handler of the equipemnt, but someone who
consistently shoots at slow shutter speeds on a regular basis learns "how
to" use 1/15, 1/8th and still have sharp images with no appearance of loss.

I have "on occaision" hand held a 560 telyt sliding barrel lens at 1/15th
and had sharp images. Now don't everyone get all antsy, as I said "on
occaision" and I'm the first to say I was either lucky or stupid to even
try. But they were as sharp as one requires.

Those who work with Leicas of any version regularly, and in some cases the
worst light conditions you can imagine, still come away with the magical
images shot at slow shutter speeds all the time.

Practice makes the difference of whether you can hand hold at 1/4; 1/8;
1/15th or not and I'm the first one to admit you blow some, but one can
become pretty damn good at a high success rate with experience!

You have to keep something in perspective here when quoting shutter speeds
and what is at stake. What do you do when you find yourself in the photo
situation of a life time and the exposure is 1/4 at f 1.0 and you have the
multi-million dollar image in front of you?  Do you say, "well according to
Brian Bower, I can't take this picture!" So I wont.

Or do you say, " to hell with the world, I know I can shoot at 1/4 and get
this shot!" and then go for it?

Lets put it in this perspective: "Those that can, do!" And those who think
it can't be done, don't!" It's called the "No guts syndrome!" :)

ted