Subject: Re: Pretenders to the Throne
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:07:19 -0700

At 11:24 PM 10/15/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Jim Brick wrote:
>
>>That last sentence is the biggest bunch of cow manure I've heard in a long
>>time!
>
>That might be true, but it's my opinion nonetheless.
>

>>Nostalgia and $1.25 will buy you a cup of coffee.
>
>Nostalgia is Leica's backbone, and they happily admit it.  Read any sales
>brochure.
>
>>Which cameras have the knobs been falling off of. In which cameras does the
>>frame counter quit. Which camera loses its ability to focus clearly due to
>>mis-aligned parts. Which camera is a SOB to load. For *true* focus
>>accuracy, which camera must have each lens calibrated to the body it will
>>be used on. Is this the "M's thoroughly unique experience in photography
>>today".
>
>Unique or interesting does not connote perfect in any sense.  Beauty
>often has its flaws.

Thanks Shawn... you finally exposed (no pun intended) where you are coming
from. You are in INDEED entitled to your opinion and, when stated in an
understandable fashion, you will get all the respect you can handle. There
are heavy users (people who use Leicas to make money), just users (amateur
photographers), collector/little use users, and collectors (almost no use),
and, of course, oglers. All of these people will have a different view of
Leica. I happen to believe that the first and second group are the most
valid in terms of defining a useful product. They want a quality product
that works hard and doesn't break. Sharp lenses, good service, a humble
servant over the long haul. The other groups have a different view of
Leica. These are the nostalgia groups. Some are in it for the buy/sell
profit, others just like beautiful equipment.

So where are you?

Jim