Subject: What is a Leica
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:57:17 -0400 (EDT)

Alf made the point that the Nikon FM is everything the Leica Reflex wants to
be. About 10 years ago I bought an FM exactly for that reason; and it has
never disappointed me, particularly used with the great Nikkor 50mm f2 lens
that I had converted from my Nikon F group.

I suppose the Wetzlar and Solm SLRs deserve the Leica designation because
their bodies and lenses are made with the same care and quality as the M
line. Personally, the Leica has always been a type of camera rather than a
general brand name. Too me the M3 is the definitive Leica because I began
using it early in my career. Then it covered all bases because Leitz marketed
it as a SYSTEM, from lab instrument to darkroom equipment. The Leica M is a
camera with a history, trunk and roots. The Leitz and Solm SLRs are branches
grafted onto that tree; and the fruit proves the point.

Bob