Subject: Re: Those Silly R8 Screens!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:53:39 -0400

Jim Brick wrote:

<<<< Shouldn't it be the other way around? Buy the universal screen if you
have a problem focusing on a plain GG. Maybe it's like selling a UV
"protection" filter for every lens sold at the camera store.>>>>

Hi Jim,

Maybe they should make the screen an option thing that you order with the
screen you want, that way you wouldn't have to fork out an extra $100 for
the GG screen.  But as you say if they supply the camera with the split
screen then they get to sell the extra one for those wanting a GG. It sure
helps the profit margin .

The filter thing is another scam usually perportrated on unsuspecting
amateurs.  Pros should know better than being sucked into buying UV filters
for every lens.

Sure some times they have saved a lens, but in 99.99999% of the time the
filter is a dollar rip off by the local store in conning the photographer
they need one!

<<Even though the profit thing was in jest..I got raked over the coals>>>

I must have been away when that went on, as of course it has something to
do with profit, maybe not in the more reputable stores. But there are
camera stores out there, where "sell everything you can to the customer" as
long as you can, as every extra piece sold does raise the profit margin!

Some stores have clerks on a salary/commission system. The more they sell,
the more money they make, so why not sell the photographer as much as you
can and if that means a 1/2 dozen UV filters so be it.

<<<<Also, one of the reasons I have R7's and not R8's is because I believe
the R8 was introduced prematurely.>>>>>

You maybe right, but the biggest mistake was not having the motor/winder
ready at the same time.  It is my understanding they were or would have
been, had it not been for some completely off the wall glitch necessitating
almost going back to 1 and starting all over!

<<<I cannot conceive of using my R cameras without a motor drive.>>>>>

It has been a big pain in the butt for me and I know just this past week I
missed a few good ones simply because I couldn't flip the lever as fast as
the motor due to taking the camera away from my eye.

I've had a couple of times where I just stopped using the R8 as it was too
slow without the motor.  I only see with my left eye, so I need the motor
more than a two eyed shooter who can work with his right eye and not have
to take the camera away to advance and reset shutter.

Besides when I'm working I'm moving or the subject is and as long as I can
keep the camera to my eye, I'm not missing the moments. Well not too many!
:)

<< But the winder is worth it's weight in gold. Never leave home without
one. >>>>>>

Couldn't say it better! And when you are accustomed to working with them
then try to work without, it becomes terribly frustrating. Those who do not
use a motor/winder don't feel the same frustration as we do as users, but
I've always believed the motor is a great asset for any photographer simply
because it is more efficient in making the camera work for you.

One thing that many photographers miss about motor use and that is
consistency of pressures within the camera workings. IE: the motor uses the
same pressure and action all the time, therefore less wear and tear on the
inner bits and pieces. Compared to the manual thumb action which is
inconsistent, harder sometimes and light the next or advancing hard to the
end of the stroke etc.

It sure will be a happy day when the motor is finally here, but I'm not
holding my breath as I don't expect to see them until spring '98. Why? I
sure wish I had an answer to give everyone who as asked me the question,
"When are the motors going to be ready?"

<<<Maybe when the R8A (A for Auto focus) comes out, the R8's will be a
bargain>>>>>

Well I like that idea of auto focus and if they can get it smooth and fast
without screwing up the lenses it would be great.  But then there are folks
still waiting for the "second coming!" :) So I sure as heck am not holding
my breath for auto focus on Leica R8's. :)

ted