Subject: Re: Subject: Weltanschauung
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:25:06 -0400 (EDT)

At 11:17 AM 10/7/97 +0300, you wrote:

>Just curious Tina, was that group or female photographers the one that has
>also a BW book out. Flor Garduno, Gertrude Duby and few others? Forgot the
>title. Discovered this book in the spring in Mexico. Beautiful work.
>

>Kari Eloranta

Kari: I agree - that is beautiful work.  The Light Factory here has had an
exhibit of photographs by Flor Gorduno. I like all of her work but
especially "Basket of Light."  This exhibit called "Native Soil" included
photographs by Graciela Iturbide, Yolanda Andrade, Lola Alvarez Bravo, Maya
Goded, Patricia Martin, and Vida Yovanovich.  The ones I was impressed by
showed daily lives of Mexican women and life in a home for the elderly.
They all meant so much more to me than the other exhibit "Tangle of
Complexes" by nine "artists who embrace dualities of life and death, and of
past and present, experimenting with a variety of photographic processes,
from toned gelatin silver prints and platinum/palladium prints to gelatin
siver emulsion on aluminum with oil paint."  I don't understand how they
chose which negatives to print.  I would have thrown them all in the trash.
It really makes it hard for me to edit my own work. Who knows what those
out-of-focus, under-exposed mistakes might be worth someday!!  Best wishes -
Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>