Subject: Weltanschauung
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 20:10:50 -0400 (EDT)

LUG guys:  All right all of you German speakers - What does Weltanschauung
mean?  I ask because it's in my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic:

Calvin:  People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them.
But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate
themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world.  As my Artist's
Statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore
full of deep significance.
Hobbes:  You misspelled "Weltanschauung."
Calvin:  A good Artist's Statement says more than his art ever does.

To connect this to photography - I attended an major exhibition of
photographs that fit Calvin's description of Art - totally incomprehensible.
Huge enlargements, showing film edges, etc., out of focus, muddy (probably
made with plastic cameras) - but with complex Artist's Statements
accompanying each one.  At the same exhibit was a small showing of beautiful
photographs by Mexican women photographers - correctly exposed, in focus and
beautifully presented - possible even made with Leicas!  When I mentioned to
someone working at the gallery that I much preferred the Mexican
photographers, she said,  "Well, they are more "accessible" to most people."
I assume that is ArtSpeak for "you are too stupid to understand the more
complex photographs."  As far as I'm concerned, photography is meaningless
unless it communicates something to me.  I know everyone on the list has
seen photographs like the ones I am describing.  Please either confirm my
feelings or explain to me how blind I am being!  How can intelligent gallery
owners fall for such pretension?  TIA for your opinions.   Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>