Subject: Re: Good Tele M Lens
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 09:17:04 -0700

Simon Ogilvie wrote:

> Stephen,
> I was interested in your comments about the 90/4 Rokkor lens.
> I've just bought an old 90/4 Elmar screw-mount lens with a
> screw-to-M adaptor.  I assume that the Rokkor is considered
> optically superior to this Elmar?

The 90/4 Elmar screw mount design dates from the 30's, although it did
gain coating after the war.  There are TWO 90/4 Rokkors.  The first was
for the CL and is the same optically as the 90/4 Elmar for the CL.  The
later CLE 90/4 Rokkor has a slightly different optical design and has
standard Leica parallel RF coupling, and UNLIKE the earlier version, is
multicoated.  I find it to be a great lens, although I have not compared
it to the current 90/2.8 which many people rate very highly.  Because so
many people confuse the CLE 90/4  with the earlier version for the CL,
it sells cheaply, usually for the same price as the CL lens($300-400).
Thus its usually an underpriced bargain.

I believe the CLE 90/4 Rokkor is a better performer than the 90/4 for
the CL, the older 90/4 Elmar screw mount, the 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit, the
older version of the 90/2.8 Elmarit, and even slightly better than the
90/2 Summicron.   Exactly how it compares to the current 90/2.8 Elmarit
I am not sure, but I would expect that the performance of the two lenses
to be very close.

Regards,

Stephen