Subject: Re: Filters
From: Bert Keuken <b.k@pi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 20:48:30 +0200

At 17:25 23-9-97 -0700, you wrote:

>Subject: Re: Filters
>
>     Filters:  Yes, they do degrade the image to a degree, and even the
>     ubiquitous UV or Skylight filter alters the color of the light that
>     the film "sees" somewhat.  [NOMEX ON] Having said that, I use them on
>     my lenses because the cost of damaging the front element exceeds the
>     benefit of the unfiltered image for me.

I was once told by an expert on photography (a Leica user aswell) that
front elements are made out of harder glass than the other elements in a
lens. Can somebody confirm this? Erwin perhaps?

He said that you're better of without filters because if one breaks the
front element gets a lot of scratches on it, if you don't use filters you
only end up with a few scratches caused by the impact.
He also said that you should not use filters because they lower image
contrast.

Regards,

Bert Keuken
homepage: http://home.pi.net/~bertkeuk/home.html

"Nerds typically know forty-six different ways to make love,
but don't know any women." - Robert X. Cringely