Subject: Re: Filters
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:31:08 -0700

At 10:34 PM 9/24/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Leica in some books or brochures has said that obsessive cleaning has more
>detrimental effect than the slight accumulation of dust on a lens.
>
>Eric Welch

Please share the reference. Which books and which brochures? Unless the
words can actually be accounted for... they are simply hear-say.

And what is their definition of "obsessive?"

I will take a clean lens over a dusty lens, and take no filter over a
"protection" filter.

Just for this moment, assume that Leica did make that statement... if you
are going to obsessively clean your lens, it stands to reason that, if it
were covered with a filter, you would, instead, obsessively clean the
filter. Thus, by the Leica statement, still giving you a flawed coating to
first kiss the rays of light on their way to your film.

Conclusion. Don't be obsessive about anything. Properly maintain your
equipment. Keep your lenses clean. Keep your filters clean. Make up your
own mind when, where, and how to use filters. But by all means...
photograph, photograph, photograph.

Jim