Subject: Re: Noctilux 50/1 versus 50/1,2
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:06:11 -0400

Every authority I know claims the f/1.2 Noctilux is a substantially better
performer than the f/1 version.  The oestensible reason for the f/1.0 lens'
existence was production difficulties with the aspheric element in the
f/1.2:  please remember the extreme difficulty Leica had, a quarter-century
later, in producing the aspheric element in the first 35mm Aspherical
Summilux and the protracted delays that entailed.

However, I have never seen a lens-to-lens test and would be curious at the
MTF data on both lenses.

The f/1.2 lens is so bloody rare, in any event, that the collectors have
scarfed all of them up.  The f/1 is not common, but the f/1.2 is simply
impossible to find.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!