Subject: Re: Noctilux 50/1 versus 50/1,2
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:28:53 -0500

At 07:16 AM 9/12/97 -0400, you wrote:

>My understanding was that Leitz stopped the 1,2 only because of the
>production cost,

At Leica? Right.

Leica specifically left out an aspheric element because the refractive
index and anomalous dispersion characteristics of the Noctilux glass was so
much better that they got an improvement in performance without having to
spend the money on making an aspheric element.

I've seen pictures taken with the 1.2 Noctilux, and with the new one. I'd
say the new one is better. But I guess it's all subjective in the end.

And just as a sideline, some magazines after the Photokina in which the new
lens shade version of the Noctilux was introduced (was it '94 or '96?) said
the next few years would likely see a new formula for that lens.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO