Subject: Some Leica advice requested & RE: Film, try others also
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:19:00 +1000

Hi.

My apologies for the hasty reaction below on Velvia (at Detlef's expense
if I remember).  See the last paragraph only if you only have time to
comment on Leica screw mount.

I spent about 6 hours last night looking at negatives for a portfolio on
the 'division of space' (yes, a little esoteric but what the hell!).
More than ever I feel that it is fine to recommend film but I shouldn't
get too upset about it.

I looked at shots taken  in a variety of lighting conditions,
exposure/development regimes, and lens/format combinations.  I decided
that the rule to choosing materials and equipment is that you make the
best of what you've got.  Whatever it is that you *have* got with you
will do a good job.  For something.  It is a matter of time, experience
and a portion of luck.

Between Delta 400, XP2 and TX Pro taken on a range of cameras (my FM2,
both my Nettars and my Ricoh with the wonky lens) all I can say is that
each has its moments of good and bad.  The bad seems to be when I am way
off in my approach.  Wrong angle, light, depth of field, exposure,
development, distance from the subject, shutter speed - the list goes
on.

Then there is the thing that we all come from different countries where
the light and subject matter vary  in  as many ways as we can list.
Including my cultural perceptions.  I think that is what makes
photography so interesting.

So can anyone advise me:  if I bought a screw mount Leica (say IIIf)
will I turn out twisted or will it be a source of enjoyment.  My gut
feel says the latter and my budget says that's as far as I can go.
Noctilux, you're a pipe dream.

Regards,
Rob.