Subject: Re: Robot/Alive
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:00:52 -0700

I recently traded some equipment for a Robot Star that was made sometime in
the 30's. It takes 55 images per  36 exposure 35mm roll, so is evidently a
bit larger format than half frame. Is this the standard format today for
Robot cameras?

It came with a Robot brown leather case, internal take-up film cassette,
and the original instruction manual with separate photo fact sheet. The
lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 4cm f2. It is in beautiful shape with only
slight signs of wear, probably a 9.5 camera and lens. Winder works fine,
but the slowest shutter speeds are sticky. I wonder if the lifetime
warranty would apply to a 60 year old camera?

The right angle viewfinder is really cute, where an internal mirror flips
into the normal view window and you sight down the length of the body with
the lens pointing 90 degrees to your left. One oddity - the lens is
uncoated, which would seem to indicate pre-war technology, but the two
flash cord PC sync connectors are marked X and M. I did not know that
electronic strobe units were available that early.  The manual indicates
"Protor-Compur" as the flash connector - I always wondered what PC meant.

The body is built rock solid and very handy - more like the size of a
Yashica T4 point and shoot, but twice as heavy. Inside the back cover, the
serial number is D110964. The Zeiss lens shows SN 2439284. Does anyone know
more about this older Robot and what it might be worth?

Thanks

Gary Todoroff
(Just back from Kodiak, Alaska today, with 30 rolls of film to develop)