Subject: Re: 90mm - Elmarit-M vs Tele-Elmarit-M
From: Len Schweitzer <lens@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 14:19:28 -0500

Kent Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this has been asked before but I would appreciate hearing
>
> about user experiences with the 90mm Tele-Elmarit-M and 90mm Elmarit-M
> lens
> (built in hood).  I saw the two today side by side for the first time
> and
> was surprised by the difference in size.  What's the verdict on these
> two?
>
> Kent Smith
> unipac@teleport.com

Kent - I owned a Tele-Elmarit-M for some time and wasn't  satisfied with
the image quality; then I found out why:  I decided to trade it for a
newer 90M and had it rejected by the dealer.  He pointed out that there
had been a bad batch (or more) of this lens ... a problem with the
cement, I believe, as a result of which some of the elements separated
and there was a permanent haze on the rear element.  You can see the
haze by shining a flashlight at 45 degree angle through the rear
element.  Since I bought it used some time ago, I have  to "eat" it.
I'm kinda ticked off since Leica US did a clean/lube/etc on it a few
years ago and never said anything to me about it.

For convenience, it was hard to beat.  Exteriorly, the glass looks great
and you can't tell anything is wrong with it.    I can't even ethically
offer it for sale, so I guess it'll make an attractive paperweight.
I've transferred the screw-in rubber lenshood to my 135 Tele-Elmar, so
that'll be more convenient than fiddling with a separate lenshood.

Bottom line: do some careful research on the one you're looking at to be
sure it's not from the bad batch.