Subject: Re: Surveys
From: Alistair_Stewart_at_DF5007@ccmailgw.mcgawpark.baxter.com
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 13:28:28 -0500

- --IMA.Boundary.698075378

     Stephen, you're right on.

     The best view on statistics that I've heard goes something like
     this...

     Politicians use statistics in the same way that Drunks use
     lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. (I don't know which
     way Di's dead driver used lamp-posts, however).

     Either way, for $2000 (with rebate effect) cost, the (name your M
     problem here,  eg frame counter) design, materials, and production
     methods that have been used for 40 years shouldn't be producing ANY
     problems today. The debates over Confidence Intervals and all this
     other Quantitative Methods stuff is, IMHO, irrelevant (and not
     interesting either).

     When Sonke (for German language sticklers, I can't produce the umlaut
     over the 'o' in his name, some people use an 'h' to substitute)
     replies to me with details of when plastic was substituted, for what
     serial #'s, for what components, & other design changes, etc, I'll
     post it to the group. I believe it to be around 179xxxx.

Alistair