Subject: RE: TriX / Microdol / Rodinal
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 08:44:45 +0500

At 09:58 AM 97-09-03 +1000, you wrote:
> >  Microdol is neither a compensating developer nor will it produce
>edge
> >  effect.
>
>Jim and Kari,
>
>Thanks for your replies - now to build on my limited photographic
>education . . . what is a compensating developer?
>
>Regards,
>Rob.

Hello Rob,

	According to Ansel Adams, The Negative, page 188 - "A compensating
developer combines the properties of low-contrast development in the
high-value areas, and higher-contrast development in the shadows.  The
effect is to bring out subtle differences in tones in shadowed areas of the
subject that the can perceive but that are often beyond the capacity of the
film to separate decisively with the usual developers".

	Leica Fotografie International 7-94, had an interesting article on
Stocklers 2 bath developer - this is the only compensating developer that I
have tried.  Apparently this developer was developed by Heinrich Stockler,
who started working for Leitz Wetzlar in 1929.  This is a two bath
developer, the first bath is metol & sodium sulphite and the second bath
consists of borax.  This developer was being sold by Williams of Hove in
England but I am not sure if it is still for sale.  If my memory serves me
right there is a member of the LUG close to there that might be able to
check that out for us.  Failing that their e-mail address is
leica@mistral.co.uk.

	I tried this developer for awhile, but for me availability was a problem.
I found the negatives processed in this developer were extremely easy to
print but the formation of air bubbles on the film was more prevalent than
any other developer I have ever used.  I have copies of a couple of
magazine articles that Williams of Hove gave me the last time I was there
and the reviews of the developer was good.  If you want more information
from the articles please let me know.