Subject: RE: TriX / Microdol / Rodinal
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 18:28:59 -0700

At 09:58 AM 9/3/97 +1000, you wrote:
> >  Microdol is neither a compensating developer nor will it produce
>edge
> >  effect.
>
>Jim and Kari,
>
>Thanks for your replies - now to build on my limited photographic
>education . . . what is a compensating developer?
>
>Regards,
>Rob.

As I described earlier, a developer that will not overdevelop the
highlights, blowing them to oblivion, making them unprintable, is classed
as a compensating developer. While not overdeveloping the highlights, it
continues to develop the shadows thus making this area printable with some
detail. Originally it was use to "compensate" for exposure errors but a
good photographer/lab technician will use a compensating developer to
compress the brightness range of a scene, making it printable, with a full
range of tones, on normal grade paper. The zone system basically is a
method used to compress or expand a brightness range, but not using a
specific compensating developer. Many fine grain developers have
compensating effects. For instance D-76 or ID-11. Basically it's the
ability of the developers reaction products to slow development in
highlight areas and continue development in shadow areas. Agitation plays a
role. Too much agitation will nullify compensating action.

Jim