Subject: RE: TriX / Microdol
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 09:00:12 -0700

At 10:38 AM 9/2/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Clicio,
>
>I can't answer your question as I use Rodinal with Tri-X, but can you
>(or anyone?) tell me what effect development with Microdol 1:1 has on
>negative quality in comparison to Rodinal?
>
>BTW, my use of Tri-X (rated 100 - 200ASA [I don't meter hence the
>uncertain range]) / Rodinal is 1:75, 13 min @ 20 degrees C:  excellent
>shadow detail with highlights that don't require an oxy/acetylene mix to
>burn through.
>
>Regards,
>Rob.
> ----------

Microdol is neither a compensating developer nor will it produce edge
effect. Results with Microdol will look smooth, but less sharp, less
contrast, no prominent definition. Rodinal will produce dramatic
differences between light and dark areas. The developer wears out rapidly
in the heavily exposed areas which will keep the highlights from blocking.
It will continue developing the shadows thus bringing up shadow detail. The
lines of focus are enhanced (the Mackie effect.) Reaction products of the
heavily exposed areas diffuse into the lightly exposed parts and retard
development near the boundary. This produces a region of lower density than
that of the remainder of the lightly exposed area. This is the fringe
effect, which produces two defined lines, called Mackie lines. The whole
effect is the Mackie effect. Of course this also helps give definition to
grain. This process works best with reduced agitation. Microdol does not
produce this effect and can give an overall mushy look to a negative and
print. But fine (undefined) grain.

Jim