Subject: Re: Penn law
From: wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:22:31 -0400

>>Would it effect you if you were required to get advance written permission
>>from someone before you could photograph them in a public place? It would
>>me!
>
>So, let's enact a "Sean Penn law" -- pursue and photograph celebs at your
>own risk; if they (or their bodyguards) decide to beat hell out of you and
>smash your camera, well, that's the price of doing this kind of sleazy
>business.

I think you misinterpreted my comments. I have no use personally for folks
who actively and continuously invade someone's privacy, but restricting
photography in public places would restrict everyone, not just the
paparazzi.

This summer I happened upon a young man enjoying a blues concert at the
local farmer's market. With him was his very young son in a carriage. He
(the man) was eating ice cream and feeding his baby at the same time. It
made a lovely photo. If I had been required to have prior permission I'm
sure the spontaneity and thus the photo would have been spoiled.

kw

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                              <kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>