Subject: Re: M6 problems
From: Hans Pahlen <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 11:59:17 +0200

>I've heard that if the M6 was built like the M3, it would have to cost
>many thousands of dollars.  Today we live with more disposable quality.

The M6 has been built for more than 10 years, and I the thing that puzzles
me is that a relatively simple thing like the film counter is causing
problems on some of the new cameras.
I have never had any problems whatsoever with any of my M6:s (or M2, M3,
M4), and I believe that this is a temporary problem, concerning some recent
production batches.
You are certainly correct that the M6 is built in another way than the M3,
but anyway, I think that the m6 is one of the most rugged cameras produced
today.

>Anyway, the point of my post is that no manufacturer is immune from
>problems.  Leica is not alone.  All are fighting the price/quality
>challenge.

Yes, this is the trend. But manufacturers should beware not to go too far.
There could be lots of warranty service costs and a hurt reputation. Maybe
I am wrong, but I have always imagined that the high end pro cameras were
above this price/quality hunt. I think it is worth a few additional $$ for
quality, but we can only hope that the these bucks not only goes to extra
profit instead of quality...
I will be fair to Nikon, and say that my F5 is working flawlessly. When my
F5 went for warranty service, they also changed the focusing screen, I dont
know why. But I am glad they made a thorough check, not only a fast fix of
the battery problem.
/Hans
Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
Home: http://www.komvux.mark.se/hp635.htm