Subject: RE: CLE Observations
From: Vince Lamberti <106623.3440@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 05:42:11 -0400

Kent,

I was recently corresponding with Guenter Wehrmann (co-author of a Leica =
lens evaluation report with Carsten Bockermann) on a similar topic.  Here=
's
Guenter's feedback :

Vince,
I have a Leica CL, which I don't use anymore. The camera which I bought
second hand in the late seventies came with a Leitz Summicron-C 1:2/40mm
and a Leitz Elmar-C 1:4/90mm.  The slides taken with the 40mm Summicron o=
the CL don't seem to be quite as crisp as those taken with the 35mm
Summicron on the M6. I haven't done any rigoros testing. This is just my
subjective impression.  I am not sure whether the Summicron-C 1:2/40 mm a=
nd
the Rokkor 2/40mm are identical lenses. I just checked Jim Lager's Leica
Lenses book. He only refers to the two 90 mm lenses as being identical. =

The article you referred to was written by Carsten Bockermann and myself
way back in 1993 or early 1994. He has since updated the text, since he
purchased additional lenses.
Hope this helps,
Guenter
Bonn/Germany

Incidentally, I've also recently invested in a CLE and Rokkor 40/2.0.  It=

is my intention to grow the outfit with Leica M glass.  My first
procurement will likely be an Elmarit 28/2.8, followed by a Summicron
50/2.0.  I've gone for a CLE despite adverse comments in recent
correspondence regarding repairability.  The key decision drivers were th=
superb design/compactness and functionality, and also cost.  I already ha=
ve
a reasonable investment in R series gear, and wanted a lighter weight
travel outfit.  Cost is also important since I am currently travelling
extensively, increasingly to precarious environments.  Also, the money I
save in buying a CLE over an M6 body (>US$1000) will contribue to the cos=
of clean/second hand glass.

Cheers,

Vince Lamberti
The Hague, The Netherlands