Subject: Recommendation to Leica Designers
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:18:34 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

Just having seen an article about the new ZX2 Leica point and shoot camera,
the external design is somewhat intriguing.  Nice appearance from the
front.  I haven't seen it up close and personal but I have a suggestion for
the Leica design team.

Ergodynamics is such an important factor in camera design.  I wish I had a
$1 for every comment on this list about how big and bulky the new R8 is but
how wonderful it feels to hold and use.  The original shape of the UR Leica
is such a wonderful concept.  I just picked up my oldest Leica - the
Standard model from 1932 (I think).  It doesn't have any strap lugs and
just fits so nicely in my hands.  Even better actually than my M6.  Lighter
too.  I have read a number of comments how this shape fits big hands and
small hands equally well.  The shape is almost like a solid block with
rounded ends with a flat top and bottom.  A simple shape that seems to fit
many sizes of hands.  I wish sometimes I could go back in time and visit
Oscar Barnack.  I heard he wasn't all that healthy when he worked for Ernst
Leitz but some of his design concepts are as worthy today as they were 70
years ago.

I'd like to suggest that Leica in their wisdom take a careful look at the
body shape and size of the Leica Standard and use it as a model for their
next generation P&S cameras.  This simple shape is both functional and says
Leica even without the bright red dot on the front.  It is a shape that
would feel good to hold, provide maximum space for engineers to put stuff
into and would bring back some of the original body design concepts of
Oscar Barnack.

Hapy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD