Subject: Leica Lens Observations
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 20:47:53 -0400

Jim Brick asked:

<snip>
How did you determine that the 24mm R lens is a Minolta design? It's been
around since 1974 and is a wonderful lens. One of my favorites. I bought it
in 1976. It has been exemplary. And why would it need a makeover?
<snip>

Brian Bower's text titled, _Leica Reflex Photography_, describes the 16/2.8
fisheye as a Minolta lens built to Leica specifications and the 24/2.8 as
being "another Minolta design."  I have no doubt that the 24mm lens is a
fine performer.  I haven't had the pleasure of making pictures with this
lens.  My comment about a make over for this lens is based upon two things:
 the introduction of the new aspheric design in the 24/2.8 M lens and
observations made in the barrel design of current Leica R lenses.  It seems
that about every twenty years or so, there is a change in the external
appearance of Leica lenses.  It is something that slowly evolves.  It is
something that is deliberate on the lens designer's part.  In checking my
latest R8 booklet from Leica, most of the R lenses have a consistent look
to them.  The "re-design" of the 35-70 and 28-70 and 80-200 zooms this year
makes them all look similar in appearance (except for length).  Control
rings look very similar.  The 24mm lens however has the older appearance
where the front end of the lens barrel gets slightly smaller with external
pins to mount a lens shade.  Most of the Leica R lens barrels now get
slightly larger at the front end or remain the same diameter as the lens
tube itself.  I know these are small observations but I think they are
valid.  Leica did an external re-design of the 50/2 and 50/1.4 R lenses
last year.  The 50mm lenses now include built-in lens shades.  But if you
read their literature carefully, the optical lens design was identical.
Perhaps cosmetically, Leica will do the same to the 24/2.8 R lens but keep
the optics the same.

Leica was somewhat slow to catch on to floating elements with their wide
angle lenses.  Minolta seemed to provide this technology for them at a time
when they could not afford to develop it timely on their own.  Now Leica is
improving their wide angle lenses even more by including floating elements
and aspheric surfaces.

I am only a careful observer but sometimes these observations can show
trends and therefore predict what will come to pass.

Sincerely,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA