Subject: 35-70 R Zoom Warning
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 23:15:01 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

As you probably have figured out by now, I'm the inquisitive type.  Always
interested in trying new things.  Well, I was doing my macro photography
this morning using the 60 and 100 mm macro lenses on my light table.  No
problem.

I thought I'd try the macro adapter R (it actually a meter coupled 30mm
extention tube) with the 35-70 zoom in the macro mode to see just how close
this thing will get.  My best guess was life size images.  Well that's
exactly what I got.  Not sure how clear the edges of the frame will be but
they looked alright to me at f8.

The problem came when trying to remove the 35-70 from the macro adapter R.
It was stuck together like glue.  They wouldn't spearate.  For a while, I
was sweating bullets.  I was able to get the combination off the R8 without
any damage to the camera.  Finally after careful turning, the lens came off
the adapter.  A small chrome pin was bent in the adapter and the some of
the chrome actually got scraped off the rear lens mount of the 35-70.  Not
a pretty sight.

There are no warnings in the literature (at least that I could find) that
the macro adapter R is not compatible with the new 35-70 zoom.  After
calling Leica in New Jersey, they convinced me to send both items in so
they could take a look at them.  I even spoke to Niels Thorsen about it.
It was news to him.

The 35-70/4 was my favorite lens for the R8.  Even more so than the 100 apo
macro.  Its off to Leica New Jersey via UPS tomorrow morning.  I hope it
returns soon.

Sincerely,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD