Subject: Slides Came Back
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:47:18 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

My macro shots came back from a Philadelpia lab today.  I was photographing
small 3-5 inch hand instruments used for eye procedures.  I put them on a
piece of plexiglass and suspended that about 1 inch above a light table to
eliminate shadows.  I supplemented the external lighting with two more
daylight balanced fluorescent tubes on either side.  I have found that
daylight balanced fluorescent lamps are much cooler to work around.  Anyway
the slides came back with some very nice images.  They show the titanium
instruments well lit without shadows.  There is no background at all to the
images.  Incident metering did the trick.  All the slides would have turned
out fine except I forgot the R8 was on auto for half the shots.  After
changing the R8 to manual, everything was fine.

Got the other two rolls of Ektachrome 100SW back and I am more impressed
with the 35-70 and 80-200 zoom lenses than I ever hoped to be.  The 35-70
in the macro range actually gives very nice images.  It is an amazing lens.
 It will  be interesting to see the test results from BAS next year.  The
photos are not the same as the 100 apo macro but they seem every bit as
good as the 60mm macro lens.  Amazing how Leitz packed some lens elements
made of high index glass and an aspheric element into the 35-70.  You'd
think Leitz would make a bigger deal about the aspheric 35-70 but they
haven't.  I'm one happy customer.

Well not completely happy.  I'm still waiting on the R8 winder.  Hopefully
this year.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD