Subject: R Zoom lenses
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:58:35 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I've had a chance to use both the 35-70/4 R and 80-200/4 R zoom lenses.
Both are designed by Leica in Solms but made in Japan.  I think both are
made by Kyocera in Japan.  Each lens has a good feel and balance.  One of
the interesting features is the macro capability of the 35-70 zoom and the
close focusing (1.1 meter) for the 80-200 zoom.

Most of my recent color work has been using both of these lenses at f5.6 (1
stop from wide open).  I have to say that the colors are well saturated
using Ektachrome 100SW.  Even Astia works well for flesh tones with these
lenses.  As much as I am a single focal length fan with the M system, I am
a zoom lens fan with the R8.  The viewfinder brightness is actually quite
good with f4 lenses.  I also use the 60 and 100 apo macro lenses for close
work.  The f2.8 maximum aperture with these lenses seems very bright in the
vewifinder.  Perhaps if I had a f 1.4 lens, I'd have to wear sunglasses to
use the camera.

There's no question that single focal length lenses are smaller and faster
than zoom designs but the usefulness of a good zoom can't be easily
discounted.  I've never paid much attention to zoom lenses - but with a
Leica design, I'm learning to use them and actually enjoy them.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA