Subject: Re: Which Leica? HELP !
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:21:41 -0400

At 12:50 AM 22-08-97 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Dan:  I read your note with interest as I am looking for a 50mm
>summicron lens.  You state that the DR summicron is the ne pus ultra of 50mm
>f2 lenses (more or less).  I have been able to find little information on
>this lens in my tech sources.  Can you educate me a little more as to how
>this lens functions.  This has releveance as I recently saw an M3 with a 50mm
>summicron with ocular.  Could this be the famed "DR"    Why is the ocular
>necsssary if the M3 has a viewfinder for 50 mm?
>
>Thanks for you reply
>Damian Dlugolecki
>Troutdale OR

The lens is essentially identical to the normal 50mm Summicron f2 that was
made in the 50s and 60s for the Leica M cameras.  DR stands for Dual Range
and refers to the fact that there are two focusing ranges on the lens.  The
normal one goes from infinity to about 36" (I think, I don't have the lens
in front of me), just like the standard version.  However, if you clip on
the special viewfinder (which is designed to correct for parralex in the
close focus range), the lens converts to a new focus range, going from 36"
to about 19" or 20".  It is impossible to use the lens in the close range
without the "eyes", and vice versa, due to some clever mechanical designs
of the lens.  I bought one recently and use it on my M6 without any
problems.  A current thread on the list suggests that when buying a DR
Summicron, bring along your M6 to make sure it fits properly.

Mine is a great lens.  It is equal to my almost current 50 Summilux in the
centre, and sharper near the edges, at all f-stops, and the near focus is
excellent.  Prints and slides made with the lens are very sharp looking,
and appear to have that "Leica look" (whatever that really means).

Hope this helps

Dan C.