Subject: Re: Choice of Flash
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:03:42 CDT

>What is your choice of electronic flash for use with an M6 or R8?

Richard,

For the M6 any good auto flash as the M6 has no TTL.  For the R8 to
utilize the flash features of the R8 you have to use an SCA system.  For
the Metz flashes you have to use a flash compatable with the SCA  3501
adapter.  The flashes that I find attractive in the Metz system are the
32 Z 2, 32 MZ3, and 40 MZ 2 and 3.

MZ stands for motorized zoom head, which apparantly will work with the
new R8 ROM lenses.  Since I don't have any, and find it just as easy to
move the zoom head by hand, I am not particularly interested  in those
flashes.  The MZ flashes also have a red assist light for AF.  Therefore
I am interested in the 32 Z2 flash.  (At one time I did own a 40 MZ2 and
used it with an R7 camera with the SCA 351 adapter.

If you have an R7 and R8 I don't know if you can use the SCA 3501 adapter
on the R7.  I also had to use the non-dedicated adapter when using the
flash with the M6.

The non- dedicated adapter comes with the flash.  If you buy one of the
Metz flashes for eithr the R7 or R8 you have to buy the appropriate SCA
adapter and they aren't cheap.

BUT Metz has just come out with an inducement:  Buy the flash the get the
adapter free!!  I have ordered the 32 Z 2 with a free 3501 adapter. I
don't know the cost of the 3501, but it seems that the 351 cost some $ 70
+.  I told the dealer if I don't get the 3501 adapter free - I don't want
the flash.

See the Metz ad on page 89 of September issue of American Photo.  Also
see the B&H current ad. Now if I could only get a free adapter cord???

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK