Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #605
From: Chris Bitmead <ChrisB@ThePla.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:19:35 +1000

>People making this argument tend to forget that CD's and 8 inch floppies
>are very different, because very, very few 8 inch floppies were made.  Even
>so, one can still find businesses that will recover data from 8 inch
>floppies for a price.  5 1/4 inch floppies were tremendously more rare than
>CD's, but I have a working 5 1/4 inch drive and so do lots of other people.

5 & 1/4 " floppies were hip and cool as little as 5 years ago. A
better analogy would be 78rpm records. It's extremely hard to get hold
of a record player that will play them. It can be done of course,
but....

The technology to play a '78 is as simple as it comes. You turn it
round and round and stick a needle in the groove. Not the same for
CDs. Ever try getting some equipment to play those 8 track music
cartridges? Or even small reel to reel tapes. Even film projectors are
getting out of vogue.

As long as a negative exists you'll be able to stick a lens under it,
shine light through it and make an image.

> As for CD's, barring some sort of catastrophe, I fully expect them to be
>readable 200 years from now.

Hmm. Think about some popular technology from 200 years ago. Think
about getting parts for a model T Ford. You can have them custom made
because they are really low-tech, but I wouldn't say the same for
something like a CD. Even if they can read the bits, will they have
the software to decipher it? Ever try to deciper a Wordperfect 1.0
file?

>Billions of CDs have been made.  It's likely
>that people will still be interested in things recorded on them in 200
>years and will be willing to pay to read them.  Therefore, barring some
>catastrophe, a means of reading them will still exist.

But will someone in 200 years who finds a box full of them in the
attic be bothered paying equiv. $20,000 to read a box full of them?
Will they be throwing sticks and stones?

>In any case, Michael only needs to be able to read his CD's until the next
>form of archival storage comes along -- by then he'll probably be able to
>transfer hundreds of them to a single device.

If you are expecting new storage forms to keep coming along then it
doesn't bode well for any one of them.