Subject: New 35-70 R Aspheric Zoom
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:13:30 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I just took delivery of a the newly designed 35-70 f4 Leica R zoom.  On the
lens barrel is the engraving "Designed by Leica Camera, Manufactured in
Japan.  I'm not sure of the lens is manufactured by Kyocera or someone
else.  I did learn from Brian Bower's Reflex book that the 28-70 zoom is a
Sigma design.  That lens was recently updated also to look like the 35-70.

This new 35-70 zoom includes 4 elements of high refractive index and one
aspherical element.  It does focus close to less than 2 feet.  And with the
push of a release button, you then get to use this lens with a macro
function that focuses to about 4 inches.  I am sure the flatness of field
is only marginal but if you go out with one lens on the R8, it is a great
compromise.  I already have the 60mm and 100 Apo macro's and both of those
lenses are stellar performers.

I have only had one other zoom lens for my Canon F1 - which was a 28-105
Vivitar Series 1.  It images fairly well but I have never really enjoyed
using it.  This new zoom from Leica is just what I needed for general use.
Its no 35mm Summicron but on the other hand, I have been using it as a
normal lens with some macro capability.  Its got the gold contacts on the
back that couple with the R8.  It must be the gold that makes the lens
expensive.  Actually at $1195, its a "bargain" compared to some other Leica
lenses. I can't believe I would ever write that $1195 was inexpensive.
Maybe because its made in Japan it is more reasonable priced than Leica's
single focal length lenses made in Germany.

I'm happy with the mechanics of the lens at this point.  We'll see how the
slides turn out next week.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD