Subject: Re: What's your Failure Rate/ Tripods
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 12:11:15 -0400

Kari Eloranta wrote:

> Donal wrote:
> > ROB HEYMAN wrote:
> >  Anyone have other suggestion for long exposures on the run?
> >
> > In my experience, left hand under lens, right on shutter side and
> both
> > elbows tucked in tightly, feet a bit apart and everythings solid but
> not
> > tense.
> snip
>
> SNIP...
>
> > Anyway, with above recommended position and practice, 1/8 and 1/4
> second
> > posible with Ms, especially if you shoot a lot and look for the good
>
> > one.  And use a soft release button, if possible.  (apparently
> Nikon's
> > for f3 works on M--recommendation from Luis Castenada who says the
> most
> > important advantage of the R8 is less vibration from mirror.)

> SNIP...
>
> I'm doubtful about these gizmos. IMHO the most captivating low light
> situations tend to be either those where one can either use a tripod
> or
> where the intimacy of the situation means that any loud gyro etc.
> ruins
> the whole thing.

> SNIP...

Photo Techniques March/April 1997 Article by John Loengard recalling
meeting with Cartier-Bresson in 1987:

Loengard writes concerning photos he was going to make of HCB sketching:
"Rain was near; and although it was noon, it was dark. To keep the
horizon in focus, my exposure was too long for me to hold he camera
steady in my hand. I put it on a tripod. 'I don't understand the tripod,
John,' said the master of The Decisive Moment."

What I find wonderful about using my M Leicas is that they are hand
holdable down to 1/8 or 1/4. Sometimes there is camera shake. Sometimes
there isn't. But an image can be successful with either. A technical
obsession with ultra-crispness, just because the optics are capable,
does not necessarily make for a good photograph. Selah!

Carl S.