Subject: 35mm M lens
From: Len Schweitzer <lens@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:02:56 -0500

I just joined the LUG and sent the message that follows incorrectly, so
I'll have to recreate it and hope it goes through satisfactorily.
I just discovered that my 35mm Summicron has a faint veil or haze around
the periphery of the rear (I think) element.  I've been told that it
might be a deposition of the adhesive of the lens elements.  The lens is
probably 20 or more years old; it's the vcersion with the notch, or
crescent, in the focusing tab.  This lens had been "serviced" by Leica
US several years ago for about $150, but I think they probably didn't
reallt take it apart.  Now I'm faced with sending it back to them again
and I'm a little dubious about what they will/can do.  Here are my
questions:

I'm planning a photo trip to Bhutan with my M6 plus 50-90-135 and
thinking about replacing the 35.  1) should I keep the present lens and
try to find someone who can put it right; 2) should I buy a used newer
model 35mm Summicron; which one; 3) should I get a new current
Summincron; 4) is the newest 35mm aspheric appreciably different
photographically than its immediate predecessor; 5) having read
wonderful things about the 1.4 35mm aspheric, is the stretch (pricewise)
worth it; I'm not too concerned about shooting at super low light
levels; is the weight/bulk an impediment?

I know that's a lot of questions, but since my trip will be rather
expensive and photographically oriented, I don't want to go over with a
compromised system.  I believe that a significant part of my shooting
will be with the 35mm lens.  I will very much appreciate any guidance
you can offer based on your personal experience.