Subject: Re: 35 M
From: Len Schweitzer <lens@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:13:25 -0500

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> G'day Len,
>
> > 1) should I keep the present lens and try to find someone who can
> > put it right;
> How much TIME have you got?
>
> > 2) should I buy a used newer model 35mm Summicron; which one;
> How much TRUST have you got?
>
> > 3) should I get a new current Summincron;
> How much MONEY have you got? This will help answer 4) and 5)
>
> > 4) is the newest 35mm aspheric appreciably different
> photographically
> >than its > immediate predecessor;
> Must be only minor differences according to most posts and comments
>
> > 5) having read wonderful things about the 1.4 35mm aspheric, is the
> > stretch (pricewise) worth it;
> Yes but as you already know, it is only really worth the extra if you
> want
> the speed and can put up with the weight. The recent Leica Fotographie
> has
> a comment on the new F2 35 Asph and Erwin Puts had a great summary of
> their
> qualities. Check those out and try handling both lenes ;-)
>
> Alastair Firkin
>
> http://users.netconnect.com.au/~firkin/AGFhmpg.html

Alastair - Thanks for posing the challenging questions that have been
driving me nuts in trying to decide what course to pursue on the 35mm
M-lens.  Problem with repair my lens is finding someone really
knowledgable and reliable.  I've read Erwin Puts' commentary in which he
says the new aspheric Summicron is wonderful, but acertainly doesn't
leave the current pre-aspheric version in the shade.

One suggestion I've received is to try 'em both at a local camera shop,
shooting outside the front door.  Amazing to tell, in Fort Worth, Texas,
the one pseudo-quasi-professional shop doesn't carry Leica.  As for the
1.4 Summilux aspheric, I can't judge whether it's really too heavy or
bulky.  My 90mm Summicron is sort of a tank next to the 35 & 50mm
Summicrons.