Subject: Blind test
From: db <boise@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 12:46:16 -0400

Erwin Puts wrote:

>>It is well known that colour neg film (in whatever speed range) is a ve=
effective killer of optical quality, and so using colour neg film it is
hardly possible to analyse (objectively) or perceive (subjectively) any
real differences between lenses or between apertures of a certain lens.<<=

It is not necessarily color negative film that is a "...killer of optical=

quality..." it is the process of making prints from color negative film
that masks the original exposure.  Color negative film, in my experience,=

tells a pretty good story if given the chance.  Locally there is a
processor (a one hour type lab at that) who has been willing to work with=

me on this.  This processor is not only scrupulous about maintenance of
their Agfa equipment, they will gladly make my prints with no color
enhancements.  =

There are things I can do to aid the printer (and the print machine) that=

help them give me what I want.  Apparently the print machine, or its
operator, set density for printing off the first exposure on a roll to be=

printed.  When doing something more than taking "happy snaps" (as Ted cal=
ls
them) I will make the first exposure of the roll an exposure of a gray ca=
rd
=2E  I tell the processor that I have done so and then ask that the film =
be
printed with no corrections/enhancements.  =

By finding a processor who will work with you, and it doesn't have to be =
professional lab, much can be revealed about the lens used, the correctne=
ss
of the exposure used, and the film.  Naturally it depends to some extent =
on
the specific color negative film being used.  Some color negative films
have a very narrow exposure latitude while others have a much broader
latitude.  If printed as described, I have been able to assess the result=
from bracketing exposures as small as 1/2 stop on certain films. =

Otherwise, taking a roll of consumer print film in for prossessing and
printing, and if that prossessing and printing is completely left to the
discretion of the lab, it is most often not possible to tell a one stop
over exposure from a one stop under or what the brightness, color, or
contrast of the original scene might have been.              =

Some may ask, "Why bother with color negative fim?"  Easy.  I simply pref=
er
color negative film and prints to slides.  I like the wide exposure
latitudes of many color negative films for my unmetered SM and M Leica
cameras.  Also, I have no darkroom equipment and have little desire to ge=
involved in that aspect of photography.  Obviously I am no "pro" so no on=
demands I shoot slides for their ease of use/reproduction.  Anything I
shoot is typically done with the desire to make a print I am happy enough=

with that I would want to hang it on my walls or give as a gift.  I suspe=
ct
there are a lot of other folks out there like that.  Still, I do care abo=
ut
the quality of my shots and how inputs I can control impact that quality.=
 =

I use Leica cameras and lenses simply because I like them.

Best,
Don