Subject: Re: M-135 differences
From: db <boise@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 20:36:11 -0400

Gary Todoroff wrote:

>>Please let us know, Don. My 135 TeleElmarit has been my biggest Leica
disappointment. Even at middle apertures on a tripod with Velvia, images
remind me of an early zoom lens I used years ago on a Ricoh Singlex. The
glass is perfect and nothing rattles - has anyone else had experience wit=
poor images and had Leica or other repair fix the poor performance?<<

I received the Elmarit 135 f/2.8  yesterday.  I shot one roll of Kodak
TMAX400CN B&W with it and my 135 Hektor. My Hektor has always pleased me
extremely with its photographic quality.  Well I can only say that the 13=
5
Elmarit seems to have outdone the Hektor.  Part of it may be the ability =
achieve more accurate focus on close-ups with the Elmarit, none the less
the image quality of the Elmarit is quite stunning.  In producing fine
detail it seems to surpass the Hektor by a small margine.  Tonal quality =
of
the prints is extremely pleasing as is the out of focus area (bokeh).  =

I realize this isn't much of a test but it's what I have so far, and so f=
ar
I am extremely pleased with this lens.  I think I have a real winner here=
=2E

My Elmarit is of 1970 vintage, made in Canada, removeable lens head, 2
stage extensible lens hood, scalloped focusing ring, and is of the old (o=
original) optical design (the rear lens element appears concave when view=
ed
from the rear, new fomula has a rear element that appears convex when
viewed from the rear).   =

Regards,
Don