Subject: Re: M6 Electronic
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:02:21 -0400 (EDT)

Don,

>This system takes practice (I am not 100% yet but am getting better at it
>as each day passes).<<

Your system is good, standard M practice and works great in most
situations; I think we all do the same thing (it's one of the reasons all
of my lenses, save the 90, must have focus tabs). The difficulty is in
getting yourself aware enough to be 100% right, all of the time and in fast
changing light, it's not as intuitive a process. My guess is also, never
truly reliable beyond a four stop or so, range.

One of the things I've found is that the meter in the CL, with its center
the needle pot, great speed dial placement and what I assume to be tighter
measuring angle, is better for backing up this working style than the M6,
with its meter indicators that are closely equivalent to dashboard 'idiot
lights'. To be fair the M6 meter is easily usable but it isn't exactly
luxurious.

Another concern is that the best opportunities seem to come 'out of the
blue' and are always in light different in value from what I've set the
camera for. I compensate for this by leaving the camera set for the
prevailing condition of the place I'm in and try to keep a mental note of
how far off that setting other possibilities are. There's only so much one
can mentally prepare for. With the focus, shutter speed and framing/looking
at what's happening 'out there' as the variables that must be dealt with,
then, in the excitement of a great opportuity, It's too easy to forget to
fully resolve the exposure settings. An AE metered camera would help speed
things up in a reliable way, for me at least.

I like the Canon 7/7s or Leica MR meter for these times because the meter
is usable, and the scale is visible, from camera top and so, (the better
chance of) correct reading is more available to the user _while lifting the
camera to the eye (Hence my earlier citing of the Canon 7s as the closest
C/N thing to an M6E). This is another improvement worth consideration,
having a small meter scale visible on camera top. Maybe a truly tiny (and
flatter) MR meter update that has a nicely selective measuring angle would
be good enough.

Danny Gonzalez