Subject: new to the group/ help!
From: newport_m@utpb.edu (Mark Newport)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 97 13:17:18 -0700

Hello,

I recently joined the group.

I have a problem with my M4-P that just won't go away. I bought this camera
(used) in about 1984 and was plagued with a shutter light leak for years.
It was a very infrequent problem and impossible for me to reproduce.  I
sent the camera and the negs to Leica who said it must be an internal
reflection problem and painted some thick, light absorbing paint around the
shutter cutout.  The light leak reoccured a few more times over the years
and I resolved to live with it. Then in Nov 1995, in the course of a M tune
up, Leica said I needed new shutter curtains.  Finally the problem would be
solved once and for all (that is after 2 months and $279.00). Understand
that this M4-P rides alot in the bag and is used mostly inside w/ a
Summilux. Recently when I used it outside, in the sunlight, with Tri-X, I
got light leaks on the final blank frames of every roll I shot (exposed
frames that were run quickly throught the camera seemed unhurt, but the
ones that I just walked around with behind the shutter and were never
exposed showed bad light leaks). BTW the leaks are much worse than with the
original shutter curtains. This camera has had about 30 rolls of T-Max 100
(outdoors also) through it and this is the first time this has happened.
The service warranty has expired and I can't see putting out another 250+
dollars to fix it. Any Ideas? Any similar experiences?

I'm the staff photographer at the local University and have been having a
stormy romance with my Leicas on and off for about 20 years.

                                Thanks

                                Mark