Subject: Re: M6 sales idea
From: Iain Bryson <ieb1y@udcf.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:13:28 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Would a Minolta CLE's innards in a Leica M6 body (Leica M7?) be such a
bad thing?  After all, the Leica R8 and R6.2 co-exist quite peacefully.

Why can't I have Leica M quality when taking photos in a relaxed setting
(family get-togethers, Christmas, birthdays) by setting my camera to "AUTO"
(although I must admit, the thought of setting a Leica M to auto- anything
does make me cringe, but I suppose that's just a prejudice I have), and let
exposure and flash sync take care of itself.  I would imagine that
photographers would find "AUTO" invaluable in fast breaking news situations etc.

If you need manual exposure, set it to "MANUAL".  What's the problem?
Almost all current reflexes allow this (including Leica's).  Has the
photographic quality suffered?  I doubt it.

I'm sure this is what Contax thought.

I would make two provisos to the above:

1)  There must always be a mechanical M6 (or its mechanical descendant)

2)  An AUTO Leica M should use AA cells.

Iain