Subject: Re: The Leica R8 delema
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Aug 97 16:14:26 EDT

Pascal wrote:

<< A negative point: the focusing ring on my 28mm operates smoothly from
the minimum distance up to 10m, but from 10m to infinity it becomes quite
hard.>>>

Hi Pascal,

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to be on Leica's case for one that works
smoothly from infinity to close-up.

If we as users and we buy new, and it isn't just perfect then accept it, but
still make complaints to others and not Leica, we are creating a disservice not
only to ourselves but also to the Leica buyers who follow us.

I have always maintained that for the cost and the Leica expected quality (seems
it's becoming a myth with some folks) we have to get on they're case
immediately! If a piece of equipment isn't as perfect as it should be, return it
for one that works perfectly or ask for your money back!

If we do not make them aware of problems immediately and just accept them, then
the overall quality simply slides down hill with our very expensive gear giving
us grief when we have purchased for perfection!

My simple advice! I'd have that lens in the store quick time and asking for a
new one! And if they refuse or give you some cock -a - mammy bullshit story, I'd
be onto the throat of the PR people at Solms via the internet and hard copy mail
to the President of Leica for some answers, as well as the phone if necessary.

Be nice about it, but be very firm about Leica quality, legend and all that kind
of stuff!  And see what happens. However if you found this binding, tightness
right at the beginning and didn't walk right back in the store looking for a new
one, it usually makes it more difficult for you to have a change made..

And quite frankly that shouldn't happen in any event, as what is at stake is the
Leica reputation and I'd play on that big time.

Everyone in here should keep in mind that we all expect above normal perfection
of Leica gear, that's a given no matter what it is, simply because that is what
we pay for, expect without question and the legend of LEICA says that it is so!

I don't have the complaints as many in the LUG have experienced, as my gear has
always, (other than the *&^%@#*()&^$!!!**%@ R4) worked perfectly from the moment
it came out of the box. And I've got a bunch and have gone through a a pile!

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump on them very quickly, if something wasn't
working tickity boo correct!

I pay for it with hard earned dollars and I don't bitch about the price, but I
do expect every bit of it to work like a dream without any kind of "gee whiz
this doesn't feel quite right!" question mark on my mind!

And if that questioning comes into interrupting my shooting chain of thought and
the camera or lens becomes a distraction of being successful in my photography,
I wont permit that!  No more than would I permit __anything__ to interfere with
my eye/mind process when my eye is into the view finder!

ted