Subject: Re: M6 sales idea
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 08:24:40 -0700

On  3 Aug 97,  Danny Gonzalez wrote:

> >Any marketing guru's in the room who can explain how to increase M-system
> >sales in the US to, say, US$ 25 mio per year without masssive investment?
> >
> Gerard,
>
> I'd suggest that Leica introduce the CL2 with a second series of less
> expensive, though still great lenses. In addition to that, an electronic
> M6 with aperture priority _and a shutter button activated AE lock_ would
> help things greatly, IMO. Finally, a techy, modern, tiny M6, fashioned to
> take vertical photos when held 'normally' would be a useful addition to
> the line.

Interesting suggestions, but:

1.  I wonder if a new CL2 would be able to compete with the plethora of
     P & S equipment out there nowadays?

2.  The aperture priority is easily done with all past lenses useable. The
     AE shutter button lock also no problem. This could easily be added
     to the new high eyepoint M6. It would involve more electronics and
     begin the demise of the M as we have known it. But then, the M6 was a
     departure much lamented by many M fans. This might work!

3.  Here's one for which I really don't see the market. A normally
     vertical smallish M? A real niche item at best, and aren't we trying
     to get Leica to come out of the niche market and be a bigger player?
     That's the big question. Is Leica even desirous of being a much
     bigger player? Bigger, I think, yes, but sometimes how much bigger is
     tough to figure. Admittedly, going public would seem an indication
     that "much bigger" *is* their intent.

So many questions for the love of our life (er, one of them, that is), and
so few answers, from me at least. Conjecture is fun, though, not?
Especially when it costs us nothing.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
      Romance begins when you sink into his arms,
      and ends with your arms in his sink!