Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 97 00:55:35 -0400

>I think you missed my point, Roger.  No question the M6 is a better
>long-term investment, but what is the justification for the immensely
>higher initial cost?  Where does the money *go*?  Or is Kyocera
>deliberately underpricing G's to horn in on the Leica market?

One of the reasons for the proliferation of electronic cameras is that
you can do many very precise things cheaper with electronics than you can
mechanically. For instance, electronic shutters simply release the first
curtain by means of an electromagnet, count off the time with a quartz
clock and then release the second curtain, also by means of an
electromagnet. This works the same no matter what speed you are shooting
at.

To do the same thing mechanically, you need springs, gears, cams,
escapements and clutches, which need to be able to vary the exposure time
from 1 second to 1/1000. It's a fiendishly complex mechanism. All of
these small parts, mostly metal, must be precisely cast or machined. The
rangefinder on the Ms is a whole conglomeraton of prisms, semi-reflective
mirrors and lenses, not to mention all of the moving parts. Even the
system for projecting the framelines into the viewfinder is pretty
intricate.

Many electronic parts need only superficial testing, can be individually
tested prior to assembly, and the testing can be automated. The actual
assembly is a matter of wiring self-contained electronic modules together.

Each M6 needs a lot of individual, personal attention by several skilled
technicans, in order to assemble, test and adjust it. The less automated
the process is, and the more attention you need to give to individual
units, the higher your costs will be.

If you broke the two cameras down into their component parts, which do
you think would be easiest to put back together? The M6 would be a lot
like a mechanical watch. Much of the G would be circuit boards and small
electric motors.

I'm not saying the G is a bad camera; it's just the opposite and has
exceptional lenses. I'm simply saying that I believe that the G bodies
would be cheaper to produce than an M6, and that is the reason for the
difference in price. They are also selling a lot more Contax G bodies per
year than Leica is M6 bodies, so the per-unit costs would be lower even
if they cost the same to produce.

On the other hand, no matter how complex it is, one would think that
Leica has recovered their R&D and tooling costs for the M-series bodies
by now. It's been over 40 years, after all.

I'm exagerating slightly to make a point, but consider: are the cheapest
P&S cameras out there electronic auto cameras or manual mechanical ones?
(Those disposable plastic cameras don't count!)

- - Paul