Subject: Re: R8 Strap wear?
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 97 10:58:32 -0400

>>There is an easy and inexpensive way to prevent this from happening.  Go
>>to the local leather craft or handi craft store.  And find the scrap
>>leather box.  For a few dollars you should be able to find a nice peice
>>of leather.  Cut two 1 1/4 inch (31mm circles) then if the leather is
>>not to thick you can use a hole cutter to punch out a hole in the
>>center.  Remove the strap from the camera, put the leather washer over
>>the eyelet, and re-attach the strap to the camera.  If you can not find
>>black get a tan piece and use a sharpie to die it black.  This will
>>prevent strap wear.
>>	This is not an original idea they use to make these but I have not been
>>able to find them, so I make them myself.  They are on all of my
>>cameras.  An inexpensive idea that really works.

The newer Contax cameras come with a similar leather washer, but it's a
slightly different design. Instead of a disk, it's a short strip. There
is a hole in the middle, and a slot in each end. The eyelet goes through
the hole in the middle and the snap ring goes over it. The ends fold
against the sides of the snap ring, and the strap threads through the
slot on one side, through the ring and then through the slot on the other
side. THe end result is a little leather pad that completely covers both
sides of the snap ring.

- - Paul