Subject: Re: Leica M6 and Contax G2
From: Chuck Warman <cwarman@wf.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 07:31:13 -0500

At 12:55 AM 8/3/97 -0400, Paul Schliesser wrote:

<good stuff snipped>

>I'm not saying the G is a bad camera; it's just the opposite and has
>exceptional lenses. I'm simply saying that I believe that the G bodies
>would be cheaper to produce than an M6, and that is the reason for the
>difference in price. They are also selling a lot more Contax G bodies per
>year than Leica is M6 bodies, so the per-unit costs would be lower even
>if they cost the same to produce.

Thanks, Paul, for a good comparison of the construction of the two bodies.
My question:  If electronic shutter and other components are cheaper *and*
just as accurate *and* just as reliable *and* just as durable, why doesn't
Leica make the switch?  What price should Leitz expect us to pay for
battery-independence?

>On the other hand, no matter how complex it is, one would think that
>Leica has recovered their R&D and tooling costs for the M-series bodies
>by now. It's been over 40 years, after all.

Exactamundo.

Chuck