Subject: Contax Camera Ident - Ooops!
From: Peter Keady <pkeady@itw.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:41:33 -0400

Dear LUGs,

A few days ago I posted a question concerning the identity of a Zeiss
Ikon Contax camera. Unfortunately the server crashed and I miss the
first few posts and have only received two. Although I can garner some
information from the two, I believe I missed the most important stuff.
Below are the only posts I have received.

I greatly apologize for this as I know it is a pain to repost, but if
you could?

Thanks so very much.

> At 00:37 27/07/97 -0400, you wrote (in part, re the Sonnar 50/1.5):
> <snipped>
> >Contax IIa black-dial, dating from 1952 or 1953.  The lens is, arguably,
> >the finest normal lens yet produced for a 35mm camera.  This is the
> >(slightly) recomputed, West German version:  the earlier East German design
> >is no slouch, either.
> >Marc
>
> I've seen a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50/1.5 in LTM mount advertised and I
> wonder if this is the same thing as you describe- I assume it is. If so,
> could this actually be better than the late Summilux 50/1.5 for Leica M?
>
> Joe Berenbaum
>
> Yes.  This is a Wartime Carl Zeiss Jena lens, almost certainly coated.  It
> certainly does not offer the optical performance of the current 50mm
> Summilux -- I have both, incidentally -- though it comes surprisingly close
> in a much smaller package.  Not bad, for a 1931 design.
>
> Marc

- --

Sincerely,

Peter A.

Peter A. Keady - Photographer
314 West Berwick Street
Easton Pa 18042-6558
(610) 559-7848
pkeady@itw.com
Changing the world one photograph at a time