Subject: Re: R 9 Suggestion
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 07:41:24 +0000

> Richard Clompus wrote:
> > I think the EOS1n RS (hard to keep up with the abbreviations)
> > loses about 1/2 f stop due the pellicle mirror.  I am sure Leica
> > could build one that only lost 1/4 to 1/3 f stop with a pellicle
> > mirror.

Turns out that the Leicaflex SL was a step in that direction.  The
caption to the cutaway drawing in the 15th ed. of the Leica Manual
notes that the presence of a semitransparent mirror which allowed 20%
of the light to pass through to a second mirror which redirected the
light to the metering cell at the base of the body.  Apparently,
then, the conversion of the SL to house a stationary pellicle mirror,
as occasionally speculated upon here, would deactivate the ttl
metering capability.
Written by:
   Roy C. Zartarian
   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"