Subject: Re: Lens Comparisons
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:11:40 -0700

- ----------
> From: Alan Bearden
>
> 1.  In comparing lenses of the same focal length and different maximum
> apertures, it is extremely rare for a small f-number maximum aperture
> lens to have better optical properties as it is stopped down than a
> lens of smaller maximum aperture. Thus, the f:1.4 or F:2 lens is only
> worth the expense (and weight, bulk, etc.) when one needs the larger
> aperture for light-gathering or smaller depth-of field reasons.

This *sounds* right, Alan, but my own experience with the 50mm lenses has
been that my old Elmar f/2.8 was never very sharp, so I seldom used it.
The Elmar was about a 1968 lens and was no where near the quality of my
other Leica lenses from the same era. In fact, I have only recently
"rediscovered" the 50mm perspective with a Summicron DR: one stop faster
and one order of magnitude sharper.

Gary Todoroff