Subject: Re: Autofocus could be dangerous...
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:24:21 -0700

> Actually, a fairly well-known photo was taken at that track, well before
> any autofocus cameras were invented.  This was at the old Nurburgring,
> which was 14 miles long and had something like 170 turns - the new 'Ring
> is quite sad compared to the old one.  Anyway, the photo is of Jim Clark
> cresting one of the many rises in the track, his Lotus 25 suspended in
> mid-air.
>
> -Dave, photo and F1 enthusiast

In 1968 my Swedish work ID card that said "Photocopist" was close enough to
"photographer" to get me a press pass to the 1000 km of the Nurburgring
(two black M2's around my neck definitely helped the impression). Fences
were practically non-existent, and my wanderings around the track brought
me to that same crest (mentioned above) where many cars would momentarily
leave the ground. The sound was awesome too, as engine rpms would increase
suddenly as the drive wheels left the ground. My best shot is of the
winning Porsche Carerra 6 with daylight showing under all four wheels. I
was rooting for the beautiful Ford GT40's of that era, but Porsche
outclassed them that year, placing first and second.

I was using an Elmar 90mm, still have the slide today, and was surprised
three years ago at the Porche museum near Stuttgart to see an almost
identical shot of a late 60's racing Porsche flying over the same hill.

"Prefocus" was standard procedure with race cars, tho I imagine if you were
shooting down the middle of the track as a car approached at 150mph,
autofocus would help. But no doubt, neither you nor the camera would
survive anyway.

Gary Todoroff