Subject: Re: Lens Comparisons
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:12:46 -0700

On 22 Jul 97,  Alan Bearden wrote:

> There seems to be again a number of messages dealing with lens
> comparisons between lens with the same focal length but different maximum
> apertures and even comparisons between different focal lengths and
> different maximum apertures. It seems useful to restate a few important
> general observations.

While no one, I'm sure, would argue with your well stated, virtually
axiomatic comments, Alan, it does seem proper to acknowledge that
technology does march on.

Modern designs, using the calculating advantages of the computer,
production techniques allowing less expensive aspheric elements and the
latest coating formulations and application methods do allow a lens with
more elements in more groups to have similar or better results in the
criteria that we feel is important.

What boggles my mind is how good the lenses were when these means were not
available. I love technology, but boy, back in the good old days. . .
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America